Mountain roads may be dangerous or impassable in winter due to snow and ice. Occasionally there are difficulties due to flooding or fallen trees. Such roads may be closed, however, because conditions can change so rapidly, it is more likely that warning signs will be erected to warn of hazardous conditions ahead. Please heed all warning signs. Many incidents occur because of poor decisions on the roads – please err on the side of caution.
If in doubt contact the Duty Ranger (087 9803899) or the National Park Information Office (0404 45425).
If you are driving in the hills in winter, please make sure that you are properly equipped. In addition to all the usual vehicle safety equipment, the following equipment should be carried:
- Appropriate clothing and footwear – you may need to leave your vehicle.
- Tow rope.
- De-icing equipment.
- Food & water – keep emergency snacks in the car.
Roads susceptible to closures during winter:
- The Sally Gap, including the Military Road (R115), going from Ballyboden to Laragh, and the R759 going from Blessington to Roundwood.
- The Wicklow Gap (The R756 going from Hollywood to Glendalough)
- The R755, from Aghavannagh to Glenmalure to Laragh.